Visiting the zoo in the winter may not be the first thing that comes to mind when planning a family outing, but the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska offers a unique and exciting experience during the colder months. From the opportunity to see animals in their winter coats to special events and exhibits, there are many reasons why a winter visit to the Omaha Zoo can be just as fun, if not more, than a visit during the warmer months.
- Winter Coats: One of the main reasons to visit the zoo in the winter is to see the animals in their winter coats. Many animals, such as polar bears, arctic foxes, and reindeer, have thicker fur coats to keep them warm in the colder temperatures. Seeing these animals in their winter attire can be a unique and exciting experience.
- Special Events: The Omaha Zoo also offers special events and exhibits during the winter months, such as the “Wild Lights” event, where the zoo is illuminated with thousands of twinkling lights, creating a magical atmosphere. This event is a great way to experience the zoo in a new and exciting way.
- Indoor Exhibits: During the winter, many outdoor exhibits may be closed due to the weather, but that doesn’t mean the zoo isn’t still worth a visit. The Omaha Zoo offers a number of indoor exhibits that are open year-round, such as the Lied Jungle and the Scott Aquarium. These exhibits provide an opportunity to see a wide variety of animals, even in the colder weather.
- Fewer Crowds: The winter months are generally considered the “off-season” for zoos, and as a result, the crowds are usually much smaller. This means shorter wait times for popular exhibits and more space to explore the zoo at your own pace.
- Educational Opportunities: The Omaha Zoo offers a variety of educational programs and events throughout the year, including winter-themed programs that focus on the adaptations and behavior of animals in colder weather. These programs are a great way to learn more about the animals and the zoo’s conservation efforts.
- Enjoy the outdoors: Even though it’s cold, it can be fun to enjoy the outdoor exhibits, such as the Zoo’s African Grasslands, Desert Dome, and Lied Jungle. You can bundle up, enjoy the crisp air and see the animals in their natural habitat.
- Warm up indoors: If it’s too cold outside, you can warm up indoors by visiting the many indoor exhibits and restaurants. You can still enjoy the zoo experience without freezing.
- Discounted Admission: During the winter, the Omaha Zoo offers discounted admission prices, making it a more affordable option for families.
- Family-Friendly Activities: The Omaha Zoo offers a variety of family-friendly activities throughout the year, including winter-themed crafts and games, animal encounters, and behind-the-scenes tours. These activities are a great way to keep kids entertained and engaged while learning about the animals.
- Make memories: Visiting the zoo in the winter can be an unforgettable experience, and it’s a great way to make memories with your family. Whether you’re seeing the animals in their winter coats or enjoying the special events and exhibits, a winter visit to the Omaha Zoo is sure to be a fun and exciting experience.
In conclusion, the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska is a great destination for a winter visit. From the opportunity to see animals in their winter coats to special events and exhibits, there are many reasons why a winter visit to the Omaha Zoo can be just as fun, if not more, than a visit during the warmer months. So, plan your visit today and make sure to bundle up and be prepared for a unique and exciting experience. Don’t let the cold weather stop you from enjoying all that the Omaha Zoo has to offer. With indoor exhibits, special events, educational opportunities and discounted admission prices, there’s plenty to do and see during the winter months. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, the Omaha Zoo is a great destination for a winter day trip with the family. So, don’t wait, plan your visit to the Omaha Zoo today and make some winter memories that will last a lifetime.