Let’s start off with a few things. Before you send me a message saying “But why wasn’t MY favorite place on this list???” The answer is simple. To be included on this year’s review list the ONLY requirement was that the participating bar had to donate $100 (all tax deductible) to Ted E. Bear Hollow.
So a big thank you is in order to all nine local wing places that each donated directly to an amazing charity to be part of this year’s competition. Who was on the list year? Here they are in order of which way the HTD judges traveled around Omaha sampling some of the best wings this area has to offer one-by-one. The contestants are…
|The Good Life|
- The Good Life Sports Bar and Grill
- Oscar’s Pizza and Sports Grill
- The Observatory Lounge
- Paloozas Sports Bar and Grill
- Addy’s Sports Bar and Grill
- The Buffalo Company
- Donohue’s Pub
- Ray’s Original Buffalo Wings
- The HopHouse Bar and Grill
|Not my sippy cup|
How It Worked
- First Impressions
- And the always ambiguous “Extras”
|Judges took it seriously|
Lessons Learned for Next Time
- Judges will eat at no more than THREE places per day…we are not competitive eaters.
- Bars will submit no more than three wing flavors in advance.
- Judges must fast for 24 hours before we eat. (OK, well that’s not really going to be a rule…but as we learned…it’s a damn good idea!)
- We will draw straws to decide order because the most difficult spot to be in for bars are the ones going first or last.
- Ultimately, we learned a lot of lessons on how to do things much better the next time we do this. Promise!
|Scoring some wings at Addy’s|
Let’s Get Down To It
|The Buffalo Company|
|Ray explaining what makes a good Buffalo wing|
|Biggest ones we saw!|
|Who’s still hungry?|