The line between an amazing video game name and a terrible one is nebulous. Some game names try so hard that they loop back around and become good, despite being objectively bad. Some game names are good only in that they use cool words, but the vibe screams, “I was created in a vat overseen by a focus group.” And some game names, who the hell knows what was going on there, but god bless the mind who came up with it.
Occasionally, there’s a video game name that is exactly right, managing to perfectly capture the essence of the game in question. More often than not, though, game names leave us scratching our heads. This year, we’ve decided to put together a list of some of our favorite game names of 2022, in no particular order.
They are a mix of good and bad and everything in between. Some of them will speak for themselves, but we’ll have the occasional commentary for some of the titles accompanying the list as well. Preemptive shoutout to Square Enix, the GOAT at bewildering game names such as this year’s Various Daylife. Never change, Square Enix. Speaking of which…
- CRISIS CORE –FINAL FANTASY VII– REUNION – Claire tells me that it’s an admittedly annoying name to type out, but to its credit, it does incorporate the themes of the game in there.
- You Suck At Parking: I’m queer so they’re probably right, but still, lol.
- Melon Journey: Bittersweet Memories: Tell me you don’t immediately want to find out what this game is about? Spoilers, it’s as cute as it sounds:
[Search for your friends] in a town full of adorable animals with eccentric personalities. Yet under this sweet surface lies a tale of crime and corruption… Where did Cantaloupe disappear to? Is the Cavity Crew as dangerous as Captain Hamley believes? How does the Kitten King fit into Hog Town’s struggles?
- Choo Choo Charles
- Warhammer 40K: Chaosgate: Daemonhunters – Luke says: Warhammer 40K? There are too many of them! Chaosgate? Which one? It’s been over six months since this game came out and we still have to call it “that XCOM game with Space Marines in it.”
- Super Kiwi 64
- Unsouled: This is the most video games title I’ve heard all year.
- Triangle Strategy: Is it a game or a football play?
- Turbo Overkill
- Lil Gator Game
- 20 Minutes Till Dawn
- Strange Horticulture
- HYPER DEMON
- Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress: I bet you just learned something, didn’t you?
- Chop Goblins
What are some of your favorite game names of the last year?