Hello there, Omaha families! The sun’s out, the kids are off school, and summer’s sizzling. It’s time to make the most of July, which is arguably one of the best months of the year to be in and around our wonderful city. In this article, we’re going to highlight some fantastic family-friendly activities within 100 miles of the Omaha Metro area that will keep your tribe entertained, engaged, and (dare we say it) educated throughout this sunny month. So, pack your picnic baskets, slap on some sunscreen, and let’s dive in!
- Splash into Fun at Fun-Plex Less than a ten-mile drive from downtown Omaha, Fun-Plex is Nebraska’s largest amusement and water park. With its heart-racing rides, splashy water slides, and lazy river, there’s something for everyone from adrenaline-junkie teens to laid-back loungers. July is the perfect time to get soaked, have fun, and cool off!
- Explore the Great Outdoors at Platte River State Park Located just 30 miles from Omaha, this gem of a state park offers an array of activities perfect for a family day out. Hiking, fishing, paddleboarding, and shooting at the Roger G. Sykes Outdoor Heritage Complex are all on the agenda. And don’t forget the two observation towers that offer breathtaking views of the Platte River Basin.
- Farmyard Fun at the Lincoln Children’s Zoo If you don’t mind a short 50-mile drive from Omaha, the Lincoln Children’s Zoo offers a fantastic family day out. Opened in 1965, the zoo has been providing children and adults alike with opportunities to interact with animals from around the world. In July, the zoo’s calendar is packed with special events including animal feeding sessions and exciting wildlife shows.
- Get Cultured at the Joslyn Art Museum Just a stone’s throw from downtown Omaha, the Joslyn Art Museum is a cultural hub that hosts a collection of art from all over the world. Its Art Works space is a hands-on art studio for children and adults alike to explore their creativity. In July, enjoy the museum’s exhibitions and then picnic in the beautiful sculpture gardens.
- Tour Lauritzen Gardens Located in the beautiful riverfront hills of Omaha, the Lauritzen Gardens are a must-visit for nature-loving families. Explore the 100-acre botanical center with your little ones and discover its many beautiful plant displays. Check out the model train garden, a guaranteed hit with the kids.
- Living History at The Durham Museum The Durham Museum, located in Omaha’s beautiful Union Station, offers a fascinating look into the history of the region. With its interactive exhibits, your family will feel as though they’ve stepped back in time. Don’t miss the 1940’s store, the streetcar, and the steam engine!
- Family Fun at Mahoney State Park Less than 30 miles from Omaha, Mahoney State Park offers a plethora of outdoor activities. From hiking and fishing to horseback riding and mini-golf, there’s something for everyone. The park’s Aquatic Center, with its wave pool and water slides, is a real hit in the heat of July!
- Discover Space at the Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum Head about 30 miles west of Omaha to the Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum for a family day out that is truly out of this world. The museum offers a close-up look at historic aircraft, spacecraft, and special exhibits that delve into the world of aviation and space travel. It’s an inspiring trip for future astronauts or engineers.
- Sunset Fun at Vala’s Berry Farm and Pumpkin Patch Located 20 miles from Omaha in Gretna, Vala’s Berry Farm and Pumpkin Patch is known for its autumn fun, but July is the perfect time to pick fresh berries. From strawberries to raspberries, your family can enjoy the simple joy of picking fresh fruit. Remember to enjoy some homemade berry pie at the Country Bakery before you leave!
- Adventure Awaits at the Wildlife Safari Park An easy 22-mile drive from Omaha, the Wildlife Safari Park, operated by the Henry Doorly Zoo, is a four-mile, drive-through North American wildlife adventure. You can see elk, bison, cranes, and many other animals in their natural habitats. It’s a thrilling and educational experience for the whole family.
- Relax by the River at the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge A trip to the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, or “Bob,” as locals call it, is a must for every Omaha family in July. Spanning the Missouri River and connecting Nebraska and Iowa, this 3,000-foot bridge is perfect for a leisurely family walk. Pack a picnic, enjoy the river views, and don’t forget to take a family photo with one foot in each state!
- Unleash Your Inner Scientist at the SAC Museum A 30-mile trip from Omaha, the Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum is a haven for budding scientists and space enthusiasts. With interactive exhibits covering the principles of flight, space travel, and even a glass-encased rocket, there’s plenty of hands-on learning for kids of all ages.
This July, venture beyond the city limits and discover the gems on Omaha’s doorstep. These twelve destinations offer a myriad of activities that will fill your family’s summer with fun, adventure, and learning. So, dust off that road map, load up the car, and make some memories. After all, summer flies, but the memories last forever!